Coral Reefs: The Rainforest of the Sea
Incredible Corals: Night at the Reef
Monday, July 24, 2017 from 6:30pm-9:30pm
Enjoy an evening under the stars at Maui Ocean Center’s iconic coral spawning event. Based on the summer lunar cycle, it is predicted that rice coral species around Maui and in the Aquarium’s exhibits will spawn on this night. Experience the Aquarium after dark, potentially see live spawning, and enjoy activities including:
- Coral Explore Station
- Open Ocean Dive Presentation
- “Navigation by the Stars” stargazing with Astronomer Rakhal Kincaid
- Coral presentation by Dave Gulko, Hawaii’s DLNR Division of Aquatic Resources Coral Biologist
- Local non-profit ogranizations, live music, and more!
Discounted admission rates for Kama‘aina, U.S. Military, and Annual Pass Holders are available with valid ID. Click below for admission rates and reservations. While live coral spawning is expected to occur, it is not guaranteed due to numerous environmental variables.
Coral Reefs Featured in July
July 1, 2017-July 31, 2017
Maui Ocean Center is home to one of the world’s largest collections of live Pacific corals, many of which are rare and endemic to Hawaii! Explore “The Rainforest of the Sea” through the Living Reef exhibits and come face-to-face with the animals that call our coral reefs home. Enhance your coral experience with:
- Coral Explore Station: Sundays & Tuesdays, 11:30am-2:30pm
- Incredible Corals: Night at the Reef: Monday, July 24th, 6:30pm-9pm
Coral Explore Station
Sundays & Tuesdays from 11:30am-2:30pm
Visit the coral-themed Explore Station in July to learn about coral reefs with a marine naturalist!
- Learn about coral biology and anatomy
- Look at corals under a microscope
- Watch a live coral feed!