Aquarist Job Opening
We are currently seeking a dedicated and detail orientated individual who will provide proper care of all animals with an added focus on exhibit maintenance. Must be highly skilled and a certified scuba diver. Aquarium experience preferred.
- Cares for the animals and documents all behaviors observed.
- Participates in the feedings, which includes food preparation and record observations daily
- Inspects all tanks daily in regards to animal health
- Knows the names, quantity and location of all animals on display
- Checks the life support systems of the tanks each day
- Care and maintenance of all lab animals and tanks
- Participates in the maintenance and cleaning of tanks in the Living Reef daily
- Checks the exhibits daily for cleanliness
- Assists the Head Aquarist in verifying the accurateness of graphic boards
Team Development & Supervision
- Assists the Head Aquarist in the supervision of interns and volunteers when asked
- Inter and intra-department communication
- Attends a daily curatorial meeting to report problems or concerns encountered in the tanks assigned to them and to receive task assignments
- Reports daily accomplishments, problems and concerns to the Head Aquarist
- Ensures that the service areas are kept clean and tools properly stored
- Participate in tours and presentations including, but not limited to Dive Link and School/Private Tours
- Diver certification
- Able to carry 50 pounds
- Knowledge of the common/Hawaiian names of fishes and inverts
- Pass a mandated dive physical annually
- CPR, 1st Aid, & AED certification; and maintain current certification
- 4 year degree in Marine Biology or equivalent job experience.