DIRECT REPORT: Director of Education
CLASSIFICATION: part-time, full-time
Maui Ocean Center is currently seeking a charismatic and enthusiastic individual to join our Marine Naturalist team!
Marine Naturalists are ambassadors of the Maui Ocean Center. Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, confident, articulate, informative, and most importantly … passionate about the ocean! Naturalists are expected to provide excellent customer service while carrying out multiple educational opportunities including interpretive presentations, interactive activities, guiding special tours and providing a knowledgeable presence during special programs and events. Marine Naturalists shall exhibit a positive attitude, enjoy working with the public and exemplify professional and ethical behavior at all times while furthering the mission of the organization.
The Maui Ocean Center’s mission is to foster wonder, understanding and respect for Hawai’i’s marine life.
Primary roles and responsibilities of a Maui Ocean Center Marine Naturalist are as follows:
- Assisting with day-to-day activities of the Education Department including carrying out opening and closing duties, greeting guests, hosting orientation for groups, leading private tours, conducting special programs, remaining available and visible to visitors at all times, answering questions and assisting visitors as needed.*
- Has an excellent understanding of the animals on display, and various aspects of Hawaiian culture, island geology and other information provided through interpretive materials on site, while continually working to improve presentation style and knowledge.
- Ability to speak to individuals and groups alike with enthusiasm, a friendly demeanor and discretion, with the ability to understand appropriate conduct and topics of conversation.
- Works well independently without direct supervision.
- Works well with others including the public, co-workers, volunteers, interns and vendors.
- Provides information and support to ensure total guest satisfaction for all clientele.
- Conceptualizes, designs, creates and executes interactive activities for guests of all ages and backgrounds.
- Orders, stocks and maintains educational materials as necessary, completes daily reports, and maintains accurate timesheets.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment to ensure the health and wellbeing of our team, marine life and guests.
- Keeps work areas safe, neat and orderly.
- Regularly performs basic cleaning and maintenance duties, including but not limited to monitoring and enforcing social distancing and mask-wearing throughout the park, stocking and refilling cleaning solutions, and wiping down high-touch-point areas.
- Responds to guest complaints and assist in resolving problems including but not limited to visitor concerns or park wide service issues. Escalates issues up the chain of command if unable to handle at Naturalist level.
- Remains calm and alert, especially during emergency situations and heavy park activity. Ability to follow emergency protocol as set forth in policy.
*please note that marine naturalist duties are subject to change in conjunction with government requirements and guidelines, which may affect our daily routine, educational programs, and activity elements at Maui Ocean Center.
In addition to performance of the major duties and responsibilities, marine naturalists may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions:
- Supports the Head Naturalist and Director of Education (DOE) in carrying out the functions and goals of the department, especially in the absence of the DOE, including oversight of interns and park volunteers and reporting to the MOD (manager on duty) should assistance be needed.
- Assists Curatorial department with feedings, animal behavior monitoring, and providing detailed records of observations.
- Assists management with additional projects and program development as needed.
- Assists with maintaining the park’s overall appearance, touching up exhibit glass, checking and straightening bathrooms and outdoor areas, picking up rubbish and recycling. Immediately reports any deficiencies through the proper channels.
- Maintains a professional appearance in adherence with Maui Ocean Center’s dress code and grooming guidelines. Further details can be found in the Maui Ocean Center Employment Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A degree in marine biology, environmental science or related field or a minimum of two (2) years previous experience in the areas of marine science, eco-tourism, education, environmental science or related fields.
- Exceptional guest service skills, including public speaking and written communication skills.
- General knowledge of both Hawai`i marine life and Hawaiian culture is advantageous, but extensive knowledge is not mandatory.
- Must provide adequate availability for work opportunities including day shifts, on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays & overnight functions.
- Must be comfortable with the use of electronic devices in the work place including but not limited to computers, radios, DVD players, CD players, portable amplification devices AV receivers, projectors, etc.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older
- Applicant must be a US citizen or have permanent resident alien status
- Ability to speak, read, write and comprehend the English language
- Adhere to Maui Ocean Center’s policies and procedures set forth by the employee handbook
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Standing and walking for several hours at a time
- Communicating with guests and colleagues throughout the day
- Occasionally required to perform physical activities such as set up and break down of interactive learning stations, carrying various teaching materials, and bending/crouching to clean and maintain exhibits
- We follow rigorous COVID-19 safety protocols to ensure the safety of our employees, guests and marine life
- Opportunity for advancement within the Education Department – priority for Full-Time status pending probationary period and availability
- Unlimited daily aquarium access during normal business hours (employee & immediate family & spouse)
- Paid time off – accumulated based on hours worked
- Health Insurance including Medical, Vision & Dental (after 4 weeks) *Full-Time benefit only
- Group Life Insurance & 401k retirement plan (eligible after 1 year of employment) *Full-Time benefit only
The Maui Ocean Center is committed to global diversity and inclusion, where we support our local community and environment. We continue to strive towards a sustainable business model and encourage innovative and environmentally conscious initiatives in support of our island culture.
Our Team members are passionate for what they do with great respect for our ocean, marine life, host culture and each other. With high integrity, transparency and accountability, we are committed to a healthy and sustainable environment, leaving a positive legacy for our future generations.
We believe that by teaming together we can make our world a better place – above and below the surface.
Career applications accepted at https://mauioceancenter.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.